Early Leigh Genealogy in Wales
This blog gives the known genealogical information for the Leighs in Wales. This information is given in the form of a Descendancy chart in which the information about our oldest ancestor is given first, and information about later ancestors is given in subsequent pages of the chart.
Organization of the Chart
The Descendancy Chart contains eight sections, and the last four sections are color coded to identify the pages that belong to each section. The family tree graphic shown above uses the same color coding. The eight sections of the chart are as follows:
- Our Earliest Known LEIGHs in England estimated 1540
- Earliest LEIGHs in Wales by 1597
- 3rd Generation of LEIGHs
- 4th Generation of LEIGHs
- Bridgett Leigh
- Richard Leigh
- Oakley Leigh
- Infamous Oakley Leigh
Parents of all illegitimate LEIGH children are treated genealogically as spouses. Various other Leighs (from the large Cheshire family and "strays" from the border counties) have appeared at times in Wales, but we include only those we could trace to our family. Capital letters are used for the surnames of known LEIGHs and their spouses and also for the first or Christian name of every LEIGH and spouse who had issue, i.e. known LEIGH ancestors. If a LEIGH died young and childless or had no known descendants, we give all our data with his/her listing as a child in the parents' generation, but if descendants were found we link to the descendants in the next generation.
The Descendancy Chart shows our LEIGHs from the most distant or earliest ancestor down to the grandchildren of Reverend Edmund Leigh (1736-1819). For later LEIGHs, go to our blog for modern families.
The Descendancy Chart is documented to the best of our current knowledge, and we hope for corrections and additions! By using small and large fonts, we want to satisfy the kind of genealogists who demand proof, proof, proof as well as those who enjoy names, names, names.
Hot links to the spouses' lines and ancestors are given, specifically, to the Elizabeth NASH, Dorothy OAKLEY, and Margaretta PRICHARD lines, and to the BIOGRAPHIES of selected figures whose known lives outgrew the slots of a pedigree.
Suggestion for Using the Descendancy Chart
- Go to the Family Tree page of our "modern" site (that site covers the period from approximately 1850 to the present). That page provides links into this site.
- Find your ancestor on that page and click on the link to bring up the page for that person. When the page comes up, click on the Connection link to go to that person's page in this blog. This page is the last generation of your direct ancestry that is covered by this blog.
- Follow the Father/Mother links to trace your direct line back to the earliest known LEIGH.
- If your direct ancestor is not listed on the Family Tree page, contact Allen Leigh with the genealogical information he will need to add your ancestor to that page.